Thursday, July 5, 2012

Our Broiler Adventure






Well we did it.thumbsup.gif  We took the plunge and ordered 50 Freedom Rangers.  They all arrived safe and healthy.  Needless to say, I was very impressed. We have been raising chickens for a few years now, thanks to a school project.  I must say our entire family is hooked on chickens.love.gif  Kevin has been wanting to raise broilers for one of our family's food sources for a while now but I am just such a softy when it comes to animals. idunno.gif Yep, I was the last one to jump on this adventure wagon but I promised I would give it a try.  Lydia, better known as the  "Chicken Girl" assured me that we could do this.  Nothing like a little arm twisting.  I also know there is something to be said about knowing where and what we feed these girls/guys that in turn, feeds our family.  It is so easy to go to the grocery store and pick up a package of chicken.  Have you ever wondered how those large chickens get so BIG, so fast?  Just food for thought.  No pun intended.  What goes into their bodies, goes into yours.

Noah built us a great pen for them and now he is going to build a couple of tractors.  He is such a creative 13 year old.  I love to watch his creative juices flow.  I think I am his biggest fan!yippiechickie.gif  Here are a few pics.  I will try to continue to document our adventure over the next few weeks. woot.gifFeel free to send words of encouragement.  I am sure I will need them as the weeks progress.
IMG_4009.jpg
Just picked up our 50 FR from the Post Officeya.gif
Broiler Pen
Our Broiler pen that was designed and built by my very talented 13 yr. old thumbsup.gif
IMG_4011.jpg
Chicken Girl doing what she loves to dolove.gif 


Our broilers celebrated the 4th by turning a week old.  Kevin said we could pick a couple that would be given grace from the bladecelebrate.gif .  Of course we wasted no time there.  Lydia was so excited that she found one with green feet and looks a lot like an Americana in the face.  Needless to say, that one has been dubbed "Lucky" and of course she found a second one that she is naming "June", hence the month the little fur ball was born in.  I just wanted to say again how impressed I am with these little peeps.  They are very hardy!  We received them the day before the big storm hit us here in VA on Friday and needless to say,the high winds and rain soaked them.  We also lost power to our generator at the barn, so at 2am Kevin and Noah gathered the chicks into a large dog crate and moved them up near our motor home where they weathered the storm for the rest of the night with a nice warm light.  Two days old and we didn't loose a single one.  I will try to post their week old pics this afternoon.  Stay tuned.  As mentioned, this a new adventure for us and we hope to make it a successful one  big_smile.png

No comments:

Post a Comment